Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pirates Cove


Mike came home from work 2 weeks ago and said "babe, let's go to Vegas." I said seriously (one of my favorite words from Grey's--is it almost back on?) and 1 hour later we were in the car and on our way. Mike had a work retreat for working so hard in 2008 at Pirates Cove outside of Boulder City, Nevada but we weren't supposed to bring kids and taking an infant to Las Vegas where it was 110' and swimming for the weekend didn't sound that fun. So we had decided against going. Several co-workers told Mike to come and bring the kids and we would have so much fun. So we did just that. We drove from 7pm to 5 am (scratch that Mike drove and I slept some), took a quick 3 hour power nap at my parents Condo in St George and we were at Pirates Cove by 11 am. The kids did great, even Lexi who does not like her car seat traveled well. And traveling at night helped! Wow when we got there, it was already hot. We threw on the swim suits, some sunblock and had a blast all day long.

Pirates Cove is so cool. Here is more info on it. The place is decorated to the bone with pirates and skeletons and the Pirates of Carribean theme music is even playing throughout all of the resort. It's like a mini water park with hotel rooms. We had an awesome room but I didn't take pictures of it:( or any of the Pirates. The kids loved the 24/7 icecream machine and the frozen gelato machine open to anyone. We had more icecream cones then one could count. BUT the kids did get a work out, in order to go down the slide you had to hike back up to get to it.

Jack, Bowen, Maddy, Dallin getting all set at the top of the slide to do a train

And the more times you go down, the crazier the positions got.








The end.
Jack did take a spin once without his power wings. Luckily, 3 men jumped in in their clothes to save him. An iPhone was even lost! But so glad to have my Jack. He forgot his wings!



Another part of the park was a huge pirates ship. It had a rope swing and tall masts you could climb up to jump off. This is Mike on the 2nd to top. The top was not recommended. The pirates were blocking the way, although several jumped anyway.


The water fall below was a cool jump off spot to. Here's Mike getting ready to do a back flip.




And the kids LOVED this rope swing. Collette and I had our work cut out for us, getting the kids on and off the swing.



And then they went back to the yellow slide. There was also a "dark" slide where you couldn't see anything. Maddy got brave and was doing it by herself by the end of the weekend. The guys would all train down the slide and they got going so fast.





I did get wet but was just as happy hanging out under the shade umbrellas holding Lexi. She too loved all the water and swimming.



Our 3 little fishes








The kids played all day long and were so tired from a long drive and a long day of play, we retired early to bed although the guys stayed up until all hours of the night. The poor neighbors must hate that Pirate House. I mentioned to Mike that we were only 4 hours away from Disneyland and that we would never be this close again. So we called up my Aunt Jill who lives in Northridge and she was delighted to have us. We stayed in Pirates Cove 2 days. Sunday morning, we headed to Cali. On our way we stopped at the Hoover Dam. They are building this bridge. There are so many wires holding it into place it was amazing. I guess in the future you'll be able to bypass the dam to get to where you are going, instead of going around it.




Thanks Russell and Collette for hosting us at Pirates Cove! They took off to Figi following a week in Vegas.

Next up: Santa Monica Pier/beach


5 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

That looks like a blast. I love spontaneous road trips.

Julie L said...

So you weren't the only ones with kids there, and what better retreat than a FAMILY one! I'm so glad you got to go.

amanda said...

I don't think I could ever be that spontaneous!!!! How fantastic!!!!! Looks like you have a great trip.

Emma said...

Thanks for watching my kidos! I love the pictures of your trip. It looks so fun1

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had lots of fun!! I want a fun trip like that too!