Friday, March 13, 2009

Lottery

Back in January, I entered the lottery at Pioneer Elementary School of the Arts to register Maddy for Kindergarten starting this fall. We finally received the letter and she has been selected to be enrolled in Kindergarten starting in August. Now comes all the questions am I doing the right thing? The birthday deadline for school is September 1st to turn 5 years old, Maddy's birthday is August 31st. She will most likely be the youngest in her class. Not that I let her make the decision, but she choose going to Kindergarten over preschool. I think she's ready for school but who knows when they are really ready. If you want to voice your opinion on whether to keep her or send her let me know asap, I have until the 20th to make my decision!
My baby girl is growing up too fast!

14 comments:

DavJenMattMaddie said...

You already know my opinion on it;)

Brian and Tonya said...

Wow, is she really that old already. That's a really tough call. I've heard complaints from people who were on both sides. On the one hand, she could be the first one driving, and just wait for her friends to turn 16 to start dating, or she could be the last one. I wish I could give you advice other than, if she has friends that are starting this year, it might be nice to keep them together. Also, I have heard that it can be nice to let them wait a year so they aren't the smallest in the class.

Penny said...

Well Kenz, Do you want advice your Kindergarten Teacher friend. I really wish the cut-off date was May 31st. Most Summer Birthdays could use a little more time. Why push a child to grow up even faster? Maddy will only be little once. Don't rush it! I've had several parents say, "I wish I would have waited to send my child!" I've never heard a parent say, "I wish I would have sent my child earlier!" You are the parent and you make the call, but if she were my daughter, you better bet she'd enjoy another year at preschool and with me! You asked and I told! I love you and know you'll make the right choice for your family! Good Luck!!!!

Billy and Megan said...

I'm glad Brayden was well past the deadline. It is a hard pick, but just remember that you know her best and will be able to make the best choice that fits her. Brayden loves kindergarten, and with a new baby, it is nice for him to have a place to go each day and get out and play. She'll survive and thrive either way! Pioneer is a great school and will be whenever you send her :). I can't wait to come see your new baby!

Challey said...

It's so different for boys and girls. Stratton's birthday is right before the deadline, so we held him back. I have talked about this with so many people (trust me) and almost everyone says that if it's a girl, it's fine to send them young, but hold a boy back. On the flipside, I was very young when I started school (I didn't even turn 5 until 2 months after I was in kindergarten). I was fine all through school, but it was sort of hard when all of my friends could date and drive. Other than that, no complaints. Good luck making the decision, it's a tough one.

amanda said...

Maybe I shouldn't leave my opinon. I am one of those mom's that loves my kids but also loves to send them to school. Austin was a late summer birthday too and they say Boys and girls are different. But in our case I am glad Austin is now the oldest in his class but...... we took the easy road. I sent him to kindergarten and then requested the teacher hold him back to allow him the extra time and she had no problem with it. Austin really did need the extra year. The only bad thing now is he says that he was held back and I try to explain to him that we just used kindergarten as a preschool for him (However, I used a more kid friendly version. He talked about it all through 1st grade and now that he is in 2nd it doesn't matter anymore. Good luck and don't beat yourself up over it. Maybe let her go and let her have that fun experience all over again. My only thought would be let her have that at another school and then switch schools so that it is not weird to see friends move on. Just an idea.

Julie L said...

I never had a problem being the youngest in the class, except on the first day when it seemed like I was the only one in the class who had NEVER seen a puzzle and had no clue what to do with it. I, too, turned six (no kindergarten, straight into first grade), about 40 days after the start of school. Maddy's so smart, I think she'll do great!

rosebud said...

My Little Man turns 5 on Aug.
27th. Hubs's birthday is Aug. 26 and since he says he was fine -- we are sending our little man. We have a final parent/teacher coming up with his preschool teacher and if she said to hold him back -- we would. Yes, I worry about him being so young, but he seems to do so well in his preschool class. I think it is such an individual choice and I know you'll make the right decision for your little guy.

Becky said...

I was a summer Birthday and I think it is fine. I think if she seems ready to go then it is a good time, or she will get board.

staci said...

I say keep her back. You don't want her to grow up so fast. Ya, she might be able to handle going to school, but they are only little once and I honestly think it is better for them to be the oldest in the class, than the youngest. Good luck with the decision. Keep us all posted! :) How's that new babe?

Seth and Julie said...

Move to California and you won't have to worry about it...the deadline is December 3rd. My b-day is Nov. 25 and I loved being the youngest in the class.

Seriously though, it totally depends on the kid. Alyssa has a July b-day and I was so glad she made the deadline because she was so ready. I am glad Alex doesn't make the deadline because he isn't even close to being ready.

You are the mommy so your prayerful answer is the right one. Don't let anyone guilt you one way or the other.

Jake & Candice Root said...

Congrats on your new addition! She is just beautiful! YOu look great and we hope everything is going well!

Emily said...

I was held back a year because I had poor fine motor skills, and because I was older and all of my friends were always a grade ahead of me I personally didn't like it. Send her with her friends if that means now or later. She will be just fine either way.

Laura said...

Kinz...congrats on Lexi! She is gorgeous and I am so happy you are all doing well. (I'm so behind in blogging that I didn't know) I hope the kids are adjusting well to having a new sis, I'm sure they love her to pieces!