He and his team mates were pretty excited for their dog tags. I was excited because the awards ceremony was sweet and to the point and we were done in about 20 minutes!
We missed team pictures, we were in California.
They were nice enough to give us a team photo, good thing the kids had names and numbers on the back of their jersey's, it's hard to tell your kid from another. Ours usually was the kid throwing dirt in the outfield or playing catcher. He really loved playing catcher or wearing a cup, I'm not sure!! I didn't take any pictures but Grandma to the rescue. Here are some of my favs.
Back to closing ceremonies, when we were leaving Jack was mad and upset. We didn't get a picture of the 1st and 2nd place teams, they received a trophy. A BIG TROPHY. This is the first organized sport that Jack has played on that kept score, that followed rules and that only gave trophy's to the winners rather than everyone playing. Jack was crushed. He really wanted that trophy. He said he didn't want to play baseball again.
It was a hard lesson to learn. I'm not sure if they should or shouldn't give everyone a trophy. At some point in life, kids have to learn that winning isn't everything and that a trophy doesn't mean you're awesome. At the end of the day he remembered that he really enjoyed and loved playing ball whether or not he won the trophy. Next year, he'll play on the 8 year old level and maybe get a chance to play for the all star team. Now that would be pretty cool!







2 comments:
He was an All Star in our eyes this year, for sure. It was fun to get to attend a few of the games and to watch him grow and learn. He will continue to grow and learn - and Jack quit baseball???? I really really doubt it.
I don't love the everyone gets a trophy thing because at some point in life they will be told no and they need to learn to take it now. I am sure he was super bummed but there are good life lessons to be learned there. Seth was just reading me a study about how the fresh out of college generation is having a hard time in the workplace because they can not tolerate being corrected or heaven forbid not getting the job, because they have always "made the team and won the trophy". I don't think the everybody wins thing is doing our kids any favors. Yes it sucks to see them "lose" or "not win" but that is when we can teach them to pull themselves up and try again. And really, even when you don't win first place it doesn't mean the whole season was a loss. I am sure there were so many wins for Jack along the way. Sorry about my soapbox...
Also, I already told Julie this but I love the pic of him looking out at the field. Too cool!
Post a Comment