Friday, July 5, 2013

America the Beautiful

I love the 4th of July, in fact, I think it is my favorite holiday. Here are some of the reasons why I love it! I love celebrating our history, our independence, our freedom, our right to vote, our country. After 9-11, I think Independence Day to me meant more. It meant being a nation, invincible, one nation under God. The pledge of allegiance really hit home. I also love good food which is always around on any holiday. I love seeing family. I love the sunshine and I love all that is included in the a day off of work.

We didn't have any plans this Fourth. We let the kids choose what they wanted to do. I personally wanted to go to a parade, I really like parades and I really like the salt water taffy that they throw. So did these kids. We parked by the end of the parade route and decided that was as good of spot as any, we found a spot in the shade and waited for the parade to start. Thank goodness, because we were melting, it was already hot!

We waited and waited and waited. If you sit at the end of the parade, it starts a lot later than it does at the beginning. I enjoyed people watching, we sat by an interesting family to say the least.  Mike snapped some pictures of our own little fire crackers!



The parade finally started and to no ones disappointment, they did throw candy. We all had enough and came home with some too.

After the parade, Maddy and Jack wanted to go to Kamryn and Karsyn's pool. Lexi got out voted on 7 peaks. Although, she didn't complain about swimming with cousins.

For most of the day, Lexi had her life jacket off. Haven't blogged about her amazing HIDDEN talent of swimming yet. She can swim, and has only had 3 days of lessons. The pool was a little crowded and to keep my heart sane, I kindly asked her to wear her life jacket. She did for a little bit. I watched her like a hawk but she did amazing. She is a fish. The girls were jumping off the side, too bad Karsyn slipped and has a huge bruise on her leg.

Bill apparently doesn't swim. We all got in, it was hot. We have had 100+' weather all week, the pool was a great way to cool off.
Maddy practiced her diving.
She was teaching Kamryn too.
Jack floated, swam, dove, and as usual made friends at the pool.

 Lilly didn't really want to swim. She's much to busy to be held onto in the water and when I put Lexi's life jacket on her she screamed like she was drowning or being pinched. So I let her out and she walked the patio like she likes to do.
After lots of snow-cones, cotton candy and popcorn from the neighborhood party we headed to Wines park for a barbecue with Brent and Julie. Julie provided a wonderful feast as usual. The burgers and potato salad did not disappoint.  I tried to convince the kids to smile for a picture.


I just need one nice picture for my calendar. Guess I'll have to go with one that's good of the majority!
Lilly only likes her picture taken when she is not being told to smile.
Mike got this one of her, it's our scrunch nosed smile! My favorite expression of her's.
The kids played after dinner until it got dark. We were invited to watch Thanksgiving Points fireworks at Bill and Stephanie's, so even tho Lilly was so ready for bed we headed over there. She hated the booms! She cried and did not like it one bit. I eventually took her inside and she happily played with toys.

We did get to see some amazing fireworks. They were even more fun then the Ariels lining up and down the streets.
Picture doesn't show it but after the boom, several stragglers stayed in the air almost like they had a parachute attached to them. It was fun to watch over and over again, as fireworks are every 4th of July. Happy Birthday America.






2 comments:

Julie L said...

I love your comments about the reason you like the 4th of July. Very thoughtful. It looks like everyone had a great time all through the day. It was fun getting to share some it with you. Love Mike's photos of the fireworks, too. But the favorites are all the ones of the kids.

Seth and Julie said...

4th of July is awesome! Your kids are too cute decked out in their patriotic outfits.