Sunday, August 18, 2013

Neighborhood Watch

August 5th we celebrated night out against crime in our neighborhood at our local park. I later learned it was a national thing not just our neighborhood participated. Our local park is pretty ghetto and run down and dirty and broken. The kids love it because it has a giant tire swing but the graffiti on the slides and left over beer cans and cigarettes aren't pleasant. The house across the street from the park is questionable. We don't go very often too many bad things I guess. Our local neighborhood watch chair person, Mindy, has worked hard getting it back up in good shape as in keeping our neighborhood safe. Everyone brought a pot luck dish to share and enjoyed a good feast and good company. As we were eating a sea of red Target employees came walking down the hill. Target supported night out against crime. They brought giant beach balls, stickers, flash lights and big smiles. Our local police department came too. It was so neat seeing the police force and Target supporting neighborhoods against crime.

After dinner, they pulled out several tarps, some dish soap and a sprinkler...
 And made a giant slip n slide!
 Some went down in groups on their bums.
 Others down on their tummy's.
 Some showed off
 Alli, Tenny and Maddy paired up
 And don't think the slip n slide was just for kids. Dad's went down too!
Even some Mom's although Mike didn't get a picture (no I was chicken)
 Here's a Target beach ball. It even got a ride!
 Some were more hesitant but still had a great time.

 Yep, there were some crashes but as you can see followed by giant smiles! I don't think anyone got hurt. I thought maybe a rug burn but none either.

 Lilly found a bike to sit on, she watched the kids but luckily didn't want to participate. She played at the park instead, the park was empty go figure. After hours of slip n slide, Mindy pulled out otter pops.
We stayed til dark, then Maddy said she was cold. I can only imagine, it wasn't warm water they were spraying the tarps down with. How fun was that! And in the winter that same hill is our sledding hill. We have a great neighborhood, we are always watching out for each other. I hope it stays that way!

3 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I have always wanted to do the giant slip n slide thing. It looks like so much fun and that picture of Lilly on the bike is awfully cute.

Brian and Tonya said...

That is an awesome slip n slide. What a fun event and great neighborhood.

Julie L said...

Terrific neighborhood activity! Love all the sliding photos and that picture of Lilly on the bike is absolutely adorable!