Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jack's craaaazy weekend

Starting last Thursday, Jack has had a very eventful weekend. In addition to the normal bumps and bruises that come from being an almost hyper-active two-year old boy, Jack experienced the following:
  1. Thursday: Climbing onto his dresser and then attempting to climb onto the shelf hung above it. The shelf, which was never intended to have that much weight pulling on it, fell predictably causing Jack to fall all the way down to the floor. Fortunately, the dresser prevented the shelf from falling on top of Jack. No real harm, but Mom & Dad were scared.
  2. Friday: Playing on the small benches at Costco (eating one of those deliciously inexpensive but large hot dogs), Jack slipped and landed on the hard concrete floor head first. On the way home, he threw up everything he had eaten and then some. Poor Makinzee had to clean up the mess.
  3. Saturday: All I can remember is a four-hour nap, which was really nice since Maddy was playing over at Maddie's the entire time. However, you might call this the "calm before the storm."
  4. Sunday morning: Jack put his full creativity to the test by climbing onto the Washing machine, opening an emptied Juice container that had approximately 1/4 cup of bleach in it, and trying to swallow it. Of course, this was 15 minutes before the start of church, so we were scrambling to get all of our final preparations completed. This put an immediate halt to our preparations as we went into "Severe Threat Advisory" mode. I didn't know Makinzee could strip a child so quickly, but it didn't prevent Jack's outfit from becoming a two-toned (white on top, blue on the bottom) psychadelic creation. My first reaction was to come running into the kitchen where I learned the hard way that Jack had vomited in the middle of the kitchen floor. After picking myself up from the floor, I grabbed the phone and called Poison Control. Thankfully, Makinzee had put together a small directory of emergency phone numbers and had included this number, otherwise I might still be flipping pages in the phone book trying to find it (for those of you in the Boise area, the number is 1-800-222-1222). The lady at Poison Control was beyond helpful and it really calmed both of us down having someone so knowledgeable on the phone. Because of her counsel, we were able to determine that Jack didn't need to go to the hospital. After talking to Poison Control, I called my friend to come over and help administer a blessing which had an immediate effect on Jack. After a short nap, Jack was back up and full of energy. Here is what happened to his clothes:
  5. Sunday afternoon: Jack was sitting patiently at the counter watching me make dinner rolls. Both Maddy & Jack seem to enjoy this activity, probably because of the small scraps of dough they sometimes get. Suddenly Jack's eyes got real big as he realized he was falling backwards and didn't have anything to hold on to. From the other side of the counter, I could see that he was falling but was in no position to catch him. I ran in slow motion around the counter, but was only able to pick him up and console him. Poor guy. During dinner, we could tell Jack was exhausted from the days' event because he started to fall asleep at the kitchen table. We saw it coming so I grabbed the camera and the video is below:

By the way, Makinzee didn't want to me to post about these events because she fears that it reflects poorly on her mothering. I think you will agree with me that the only thing this shows is how active Jack really is. IMHO, Makinzee is amazing in all that she does.



8 comments:

Brian and Tonya said...

What a rough weekend. Tell Kinz don't worry. We all know she is an awesome mother. I can only hope that I'll be half as good as here when I have kids.

Liz said...

Those of us that are mothers would never judge..because it is reality. All our kids are different but man they can give you a run for your money. I have the motto if they are still alive I am doing a good job..so by my standards,if it matters, you are doing an excellent job!!

Kristy said...

Kenzie, everyone that knows you knows you would do everything for your kiddos...and mike. :0) Sometimes, kids just get into trouble. Nothing we can do about that, except be there to pick them up when they fall. It's hard I know, I feel the same way with Belle.
I LOVE THE VIDEO....It's the best. Jack so sooo cute. Keep the video for blackmail purposes for when he is older!! hahahah.

Hayley said...

it's good to hear other kids are just like mine! glad that nothing too serious happened to him, kids are troopers!

Emma said...

Wow, he really did a number on his Sunday clothes. I would hate to see what his tummy looked like.

Laura said...

Wow I feel for you guys! Two things- first I think you two deserve a vacay, without the kids! And secondly maybe you should get Jack a helmet then you can let him continue with most of his craziness!

Sally said...

Whoa -I'm glad Jack survived all the trauma and more importantly that Makenzie did! Someone please show me a Mom who HASN'T called poison control yet :). It always seems to be the boys! Anyway, I love the video. I think it's great you're recording all this for posterity.

staci said...

Oh poor you guys and poor little Jack too. I can't believe all the things that happened in such a short amount of time! Wonder what got into him those few days??? Just being his curious self I guess huh? Does going through all this make you want another one any time soon?? j/k!! :) It's all good Kinzee! "You're gonna miss this" Have you heard that song by Trace Adkins? If not, you should look it up. It's a good one!!