I got tagged about on our engagement but wanted to reminisce about our first date which was on Feb 26 1999, yep 9 years ago today and then our engagement. Mike & I met in Spanish class at UVSC; Mike a returned Spanish speaking missionary was taking Spanish classes to freshen up his vocab skills (he'd been home from California 2 years) and I was a dedicated student who worked my way up to the level 300 class and there he was thinking he was so smart with all the other returned missionaries in the class. I still remember the day, what I was wearing, and that I was in a hurry to get to a job interview but I listened to him talk (which I guess was a good thing men always like to talk right?) After small chit chat he offered to tutor me. I was rather appalled that he would even suggest that he was so much more "learned" then me. And said maybe you can sit next to me in class. So the next class (which was 3 times a week) I sat in my usual spot thinking yeah right, I am NOT going to sit by you. He made the effort to talk to me everyday even though we sat in the same seats (not that there was seat assignment or anything). BUT after a month, he had really grown on me and I started thinking I should sit by him. Talking to Mike one day after class I learned he rode the bus home to Lehi from school and decided to offer him a ride home. So we walked up to my car parked at the top of the Trades building and into the blue Saab and I had one of my favorite CD's playing, U2. Mike loves U2 and we had a great time riding home from school. After short chit chat we learned both our dads worked in the garage door industry (kind of). After seeing each other in class and talking and giving rides home, he finally asked me out on February 26. We went to a BYU mens volleyball game and then to an Institute dance which I invited all my friends to come to so I would have someone to talk to besides my date (thanx Jen and Penny and ward friends for coming to the dance:). So about the game, it was very crowded. That year BYU was ranked #1 and everyone wanted to see them. We arrived shortly before the game started and Mike winded his way up to the front and stuck out his hand for me to hold it and I believe we both instantly felt the ~vibes!! The game was good (I believe BYU won) and the dance was fun. After the dance we went back to my apartment and I believe from that moment on we were slowly falling in love. I am not normally a first date kisser but gave in to that handsome hunk! The next day, Mike went to Idaho for a family reunion and I had a date with Jen's friend, Darin, I hate to say I was thinking about another man the whole date but to this day it is fun to say I had a date the next day after our first date. I can't find most of the pictures when we were dating but found a few. This was taken in St George where we went for my friend Laurie's wedding.

Here we are at another wedding, Jared & Jen Libberton.

Since our first date we made adjustments to be with each other as much as possible. He used to come over to Price's Doors in Orem to see me at work before taking the bus home and heading to work himself. We finished school in the spring and I moved to Grama's house in Holladay to work and save money for our wedding in August. We picked out a day to get married (I choose August 11th because on the calendar it said Eclipse of the sun and it sounded like a good day to get married). My ring took a while to be made but on May 19th, I remember Mike having to work but suddenly was in Salt Lake and wanted to take me to dinner. I was getting ready and Mike showed Grams the ring, I remember her telling me I should go put something else on to go out. We were standing in the kitchen, me in front and Mike behind and I grabbed his pocket. While serving his mission in Los Angeles, Mike learned to carry his wallet in the front pockets so he could not be pick-pocketed while being out and about. He still was in the habit of carrying his wallet in the front but this time I felt something not of a wallet size but more of a ring sized box. I believe he knew I felt it too but we carried on and went to dinner. I couldn't decide what I wanted to eat and we ended up at Chili's one of my least favorite restaurants because all they served was chicken and I hated chicken. Mike still remembers what he ordered but I can only remember that he asked me to marry him. Of course I said yes. Here's the pix after.

That night we drove up to the U on the mountain and looked over the Salt Lake valley and the rest is history. I did learn something about my mom with getting engaged. Mike went to my dad's work in Salt Lake before picking me up to show my dad the ring and ask for permission to marry his daughter. My dad told him of the story when he and my mom got engaged. My dad describes it that back in those days, men wore really tight pants and my mom saw the little ring box in his pocket also. Fate would have it; Maddy will see the ring box one day. Ohh I hope that is along ways to go!!
PS I tag Jen, Lynsi, Kate & Tonya about your engagement!
7 comments:
I love your story! I especially laughed at the Spanish class part. You two are perfect for each other!
What a great story you guys have! And now you've got it recorded (if you hadn't already)!
Makinzee forgot to tell you that it was snowing like crazy that day she offered to take me home, and she hates driving in the snow (like anyone enjoys it). That was my first real hint that she might like me as much as I liked her.
I loved reading your story! So fun! Guess, what?! Our engagement stories are a little bit similar! We went to Chili's the night we got engaged (so romantic! NOT!!!!) and then up above the U too and that's where Bill asked. How funny! I never knew that's what you guys did too! Was it the 4th south Chili's? We're not big fans of it either. I have no idea why we even went there.
Remember that we had Spanish together in the 100 level class? Ya, I didn't like it all that much, therefore didn't do too well. I do remember not showing up a lot too. Ahhhh, those were the days right?! ;)
How fun to read your story! I especially liked the part about the ring box in the pocket. Made me start reminiscing. Aaahhhhh! Those were the days.
So cute. Im glad Mike was persistant in Spanish Class. You guys are cute.
That was really fun to read and those pictures are so cute! We were at BYU in 1999, so we were probably close to you guys. What a great story! You guys are great together. By the way, I love the look of your blog! (And I'm glad to hear you haven't decided who Bella should be with yet - me, neither and I think it's very conflicting :)!)
Post a Comment