Friday, November 5, 2010

Poop Update



Poor little Lexi has had diarrhea since Sept 17 (mike's birthday when she got the stomach flu and with that came the poops). I kept thinking the diarrhea would go away. BRAT diet, no milk, lots of fluids so she didn't dehydrate and it didn't go away no matter what I did. Anti diarrhea, pepto and Imodium didn't work either. So I finally took her into West Jordan Medical Center--not my favorite place to recommend. The doctor tested her for strep, took 3 stool samples and a blood test only to tell me that everything was fine except that she STILL had diarrhea (but a week later after the tests came back). They offered a prescription but it was costly $150. YIKES and no guarantees that it would work. I declined the meds-basically can't afford it.




I think they got bugged by me calling with my webMD finds and finally returned my calls to a Gastro Intestines Specialist and lucky me my appointment is in 2 weeks~Nov 17. Seriously 7 weeks of diarrhea and the soonest they could get me in was 2 weeks. Oh well, lucky me as I was churning the victorio this morning making applesauce the office had a cancellation could I come in in 2 hours. I rearranged my schedule and a great friend helped with the older kids. Mike and I listened to the doctor explain at least 10 reasons why she could have diarrhea for so long. He said it can last up to 3 months. Possibly the F's-to much fluid, not enough fat and fiber and i can't remember the other. Could be siliac disease--my cousins and their kids have it. SO he ordered another blood test and another stool sample but also gave me the $150 meds for free (thank you samples) and a stronger accidophyus. Phew, are we done yet. I hope so, we start the meds today.




Today I'm thankful for a doctor who cared to listen to me and didn't push me off to someone else. With good meds and fasting on Sunday-she should be back to normal in no time.

8 comments:

staci said...

Poor Lexi & poor you!! Is her little bum just raw? Brooke had diarrhea when she was about 5 months old for 3 or 4 days, and her poor bum was so sore. Poor little Lexi. I love your optimism. Hopefully she will get over this & you can stop worrying about all this s*$#!!!! :)

Julie L said...

Oh,hooray for a doctor who cares! I am glad you made some progress. I have been concerned about the little thing.

On the side (literally) those pictures are just darling of the kids in their autumn garb! We love you all!

Michael said...

I was a little surprised to hear all the different causes that could possibly be at the root of this... From ciliac, to cystic fibrosis, to Crohn's Disease... After going through the list, he pretty much discounted them all and suggested it was "toddler's diarrhea," (TD) which is basically nothing more than a hyper-active digestive tract. Although we'll still be testing for some of the above mentioned causes, we're now treating for TD. I'm hopeful that we're much closer to being back to full health.

Seth and Julie said...

Oh, I feel for you! Alex had diarrhea from the time he stopped nursing until he turned 4. He still has some digestive problems and do you know that in all those years that I took him to doctors and begged for help, everyone told me it was no big deal and it would pass. For three years. He was raw and sore all the time, and I even had to potty train him with chronic diarrhea. Poor kid. It is finally improving, but I wish I'd had better doctors. I am so glad someone helped Lexi and gave you free meds even. I hope for all of your sakes that this is the end of this nightmare.

Ann Marie said...

This is so frustrating!!

I feel so bad for you and for Lexi!
Hope the meds help... :(

Sally said...

I am so sorry! Lexi will be in our prayers. I know how frustrating it can be. We are on almost 2 years of chronic constipation, unless we use laxatives. It is NOT fun. We have tried all the meds, fiber, exercise, dietary, blood tests, etc... and we are at the point of seeing another specialists (have been to two already.) We hope she is better SOON!

Cam said...

So glad to be considered a great friend. :) Always happy to help. Poor Lexi and poor mom- having to change all of those diapers,-- not fun. Hope the medications are starting to work!

Nikkie said...

I hope she's doing better, Unfortunately, Celiac won't show up in bloodwork until a child is older than 2. With any luck it will be something that is much easier to fix anyway.