Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thankful Thinking Part 1

On Sunday, I gave a lesson in Young Women's on Gratitude and Thanksgiving. Both have been on my mind all year as I knew my topic for the lesson and especially this month in honor of Thanksgiving. One of my favorite scriptures is D&C 59:7 "Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things" what better time to remind myself exactly what I am thankful for. I was going to do this on FB and decided I'd blog about it where I can look back and remember what it is I am truly thankful for. No particular order, just things I am especially thankful for on a particular day. And since November has 30 days in it, I'm going to try and break into 3 parts~here's to wishful thinking!

1. I just LOVE the month of November. It does get by passed quickly by the big, fat man in red.

2. HONEY' DO's that are completed. My Honey doesn't complain (too much that is) about the  honey do's he comes home to. He came home to 5 yards of topsoil, got his gloves on and went to work. Just in time for the snow that began to fall. He also fixed a broken toilet seat, hung my new mirror, and fixed a broken table that the kids were jumping of and broke. I am so thankful for my eternal companion. He is such a perfect match for me (and I hope I'm the same for him). When he gets home from work, he always gives me a kiss. Lexi decided she too needed a kiss and now he gives everyone a kiss when he gets home from work. He is a hard worker, very determined, a perfectionist and a great husband and father.

3. Washer & Dryer. Today was laundry day. I did at least 10 loads of laundry. I switched over the bedding to flannel sheets. I'm a sucker for flannel in the winter! I'm especially thankful for machines that help make my work load as a stay at home mother easier.

4. Apples. My friend Jen and I did 62 qts of applesauce today and then on Monday we did 53 qts of applesauce. We also did a couple batches of strawberry jam (got a case for $4). My SIL found a great recipe here for homemade applesauce. It's easy and so good! Who knew just a cinnamon stick would give it that homemade taste. We also used a victorio strainer...those are something else to be thankful for. My step mom canned when I was young. My mother in law first taught me how to can peaches and pears. When I moved to Boise, I got hooked! I love opening a jar anytime of year but especially in the winter when summer fruits and veggies are expensive and hard to come by! Thanks G&G L for apples!

5. SNOW. I wasn't expecting a blanket of white snow this morning but it was refreshing and beautiful. I especially love snow when it leaves the roads and sidewalks clear. The white mountains were breath-taking and the air was so clear. It was cold but the kids still got all dressed up to go play outside and enjoy hot chocolate with marshmallows to warm them up when they were done playing!

6. SUNDAY's. I just love Sunday's. I love going to church and look forward to it every week. I love getting a spirit re-boost that helps carry me throughout my week. My Savior: He loves me, He knows me, He listens to me and answers prayers. I am thankful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

7. Family and Sunday Dinners: Last night we went to my parents house for Sunday dinner. We ate ribs and creamed onions and apple salad and chocolate fondue for dessert. I've gotta get me one of those, it was so yummy and the kids loved it! We played games and chit chatted about babies and life. The kids especially loved an evening of playing with Aunt Emma! I love living close to family and being able to spend time with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.

8. Photos! I have been on a deadline to get my 2012 photo calendars finished. My SIL first did a photo calendar for my in laws many years ago, it is now a new tradition for our family, although now I use shutterfly to help me make several calendars. My brother even requests one of his cute nieces and nephews. We look forward to seeing the new page each month. The kids get very excited when their picture is up on their birthday month. It has been so fun going through the photos of 2011 and choosing my favorites for the calendar. Orders in! One more check on the Christmas to do list!

9. PT Conference. I love Jack's teacher Miss Snow. When report cards came out on Monday, I was a little worried but also knew that Maddy & Jack are completely opposite as far as learning is concerned. Last night, Miss Snow showed Mike & I & Jack why his scores were the way they were. I sometimes blame myself as the mother or that he should have gone to a better preschool but I have learned that everyone learns differently. He has made tremendous growth just in the last 3 weeks.
We found some great books at the library that have given him the confidence he needs to read. Maddy has a great teacher also, Mrs. Forsyth. Maddy will do well with any teacher. She loves school and learning and is a perfectionist at anything she does. She scores well on her spelling and math tests and is reading at a level K. She had straight 4's on her report card including one 3. (4's apparently are the new A). I am grateful for educators that teach my children.

10. I shared this story in my lesson. And wanted to share it with you.
Story by Alice Ruth Dreshel:


When I was a young missionary in Ohio, I heard a sacrament meeting talk about saying, thank you. “Think of the things you are grateful for,” the speaker said. “Think of the people who have taught you, encouraged you, loved you, and made a positive difference in your life.” Then he said: “Now think back. Have you told them you are grateful for them and why? That is something we each can and should do. Tell them in person, by phone, in a note, or in a letter. We can start today. Let’s do it!”

So I did it. That night I thought about my life and asked Heavenly Father if there was someone I had never thanked who had really affected my life for good. To my surprise, a name and face popped into my mind immediately—Sister Mickelsen, my mother’s friend. I’d known her all my life. She knew me only as my parents’ youngest child.

Without waiting, I wrote her a letter. I thanked her for being an important, good influence in my life and for being a gracious lady, always well groomed and refined. I thanked her for her example to me when she would touch the shoulder of a young mother with several wiggly children during sacrament meeting, smile, and reach out to hold her restless baby.

Then I told her that when I was young I was a tomboy. Many times I heard my mother say, “It’s great to love sports and play ball, dear. However, remember that every girl who grows up will become a woman, but it is most important that she also learn to become a lady.” And then Mother would describe a lady to me.

I wrote in my letter, I looked around to find a person such as Mother described. It was you, Sister Mickelsen. For years I looked up to you and tried to be like you. Thank you again for all you are and have done for me. I mailed the letter and then forgot about it. When I returned from my mission, I gave a talk in sacrament meeting. Afterward, several people told me they liked my talk. And then I found myself in a tight bear-hug embrace from an older man who had tears on his cheeks.

I was amazed when I realized this was President Mickelsen of the stake presidency, for he was a reserved, dignified banker who rarely showed emotion. Seeing I was shocked, he said, “Let me explain something. My dear wife died several months ago after being sick a long time. She became discouraged, feeling she had failed to make a real difference in anyone’s life.

‘You have,’ I told her. ‘You’ve been a wonderful wife and mother and friend, and you’ve always served in the Church.’

'But everyone does those things,’ she said. ‘What have I ever done that I didn’t have to do, that I wasn’t assigned?’ “And then your letter came,” President Mickelsen said to me. “She read it and wept, and read it again and again. She kept it on the table by her bed so she could read it every day until she died. It was a great comfort to her. I can never thank you enough for writing her that letter.

I am so grateful I wrote it.

I want you to do what Alice did. You may already know someone or you may need to think about your life and ask Heavenly Father if there is someone you have never thanked who had really affected your life for good.

I myself have a couple letters to write. I just mailed a letter to my Young Women’s president when I was a Laurel. My parents divorced my senior year of High School and we moved out of the city. I had not completed my YW recognition awards. SHE called me daily when we moved, she encouraged me, she helped me finish my project so I could receive my medallion, she took me to lunch, she bought me gifts to take to college and she cared for me and I have never told her thank you.

I also plan on writing my Grama a letter. She is 92. She is my 2nd mother. She is very giving and always thinking of others. I am so grateful my children know her and she knows them. I want to thank her and let her know I love her.

4 comments:

Julie L said...

This is such an uplifting and powerful post. I am so grateful for the way you love my son, the wonderful wife, the wonderful mother and daughter-in-law you are. You bless all our lives in so many ways. Thanks for posting this here. I realize that I've been so stressed with work things I've totally missed the important thing about this time of year. Thanks for helping me regain my perspective. I love you.

Laura said...

You have been one busy girl!! I agree with you on November, it is great to think back and reflect on the things we have and appreciate them. Gratitude is a good thing.

Seth and Julie said...

Love the turkey cartoon. Since I am a Thanksgiving baby I was always so offended that Thanksgiving gets completely glossed over. Gratitude is such a worthy thing to celebrate but everyone is in too big a hurry to gear up for Christmas. I also loved the story you shared from your lesson so I am thankful for YOU for bringing smiles and good cheer into my life today. Thanks!

Unknown said...

You did such a good job on your lesson!!! I am grateful to have you as a friend and neighbor!!!!