My Grama Maggie was in St Louis (many years ago my mom was in college) visiting Nate & Stacey Marinaro. They served her Ham & Grits. Stacey was from the South and grew up eating grits. My Grams loved them and brought the recipe home. My mom loved them and got us kids hooked on them; I believe we ate them at least once a week. For years we would request Ham and Grits for our birthday dinner and especially at Easter. I wanted to share the recipe (sorry meant to before Easter and didn't get to it) and hope you will love it too. Here are the ingredients and the recipe:

1 qt water
several dashes of garlic salt
1 cup grits (found in cereal isle by the hot cereal)
1 Old English cheese in a jar (by the crackers and velveta cheese)
1 cube butter
Bring water, garlic salt and grits to a boil. Add add butter and cheese til melted. Poor into 9x13 pan and cook 350' for 30 minutes til hot and golden brown. This is a before picture. Serve warm. Great with ham or roast or as a side dish.

Have you ever had grits? YUM!
4 comments:
Looks just like I remember them! Yum, yum. Haven't tried making them myself, but will now give it a go--thanks for the reminder!!
I can't believe you gave out this "ancient chinese secret!" Just so you know, you have to come visit us to get the "authentic" version. hint hint :)
I have never had them. I don't know why they scare me, if I ever try them, they will be yours!
Mmm food!!!
Post a Comment