Monday, December 9, 2013

Wonderful Weekend

We had a white and wonderful weekend. Here's a recap of what we were up to!

SNOW
I've already forgotten how much snow we got and what days it really snowed but I feel like it started Tuesday (the day after we went to Temple Square) and snow all week. Mike has been a trooper and shoveled the driveway at least 4 times. But hey he lost 4 pounds last week with shoveling snow and working out with me 5 days! Way to go!
 Lilly is trying to get use to the idea of liking hats. This is her hat, although Lexi loves it and if Lilly won't wear it she has it on.
 So our wonderful weekend started with lunch with  Rachel and Camille. Yummy Zupas! I love that place, I had asian bbq sandwich and Wisconsin Cauliflower soup. It was divine. Thanks Rachel! Friday night was our ward Christmas party. I cooked a roast that barely fit in my huge crock pot. We were afraid we would run out of food but Clairesse did a great job estimating the food, preparing  yummy menu (Cafe Rio) and we even came home with dessert.



I love my Christmas plates! My Grama started giving these plates to my mom when my parents were first married. They moved to Farmington with us and then when I got married I inherited them. My kids love using them also. They are not available in stores in the USA, I have seen some on eBay and in Germany.

Saturday morning Jack had a basketball game at 8am. I opted to stay home with the little girls who were still asleep from staying up very late. It's a good thing because it was just a "clinic" which is a glorified practice.

The snow snowed us out on our North Pole party which pictures follow later when we held it Sunday evening.

Maddy had a basketball game Saturday @ 1. We are in basketball mode now. 2 games every Saturday for the next 8 weeks. It's going to be so fun.

My friend Rachel and I are coaching Maddy's team. We are a small team of 7, Maddy recruited our team for us! Which may be the reason of the score, she was recruiting friends. The girls had one practice and we got spanked our first game. Madison scored our only basket and it was late in the 4th quarter. By the end of the game, the girls learned that they couldn't go after the ball and not practically give the other team the ball. They have never played before so it is to be expected.

 Maddy was so red! She said she was tired, we had one sub and she has a broken arm so the 5 girls played the whole game. Practise tonight! We can only improve.

Saturday night, Mike and I headed to an ugly sweater party. Thanks Maddy for the picture. I will share more when Ann posts them. We enjoyed dinner, had a white elephant exchange and played reverse charades. THE funnest game. I laughed so hard I cried and almost peed my pants. We played girls against boys--we should have played one more game to break the tie.
 
 

 Sunday morning, Mike went to the church and shoveled the sidewalks at 8. He came home and then shoveled our walks (for the 3rd time this weekend). He had an early meeting and I was in charge of getting the kids ready for church. Jack cried that he hated his sweater but since mom was on laundry strike last week he had NO other choice--he said he would get laughed at-silly boy he didn't get laughed at and looked handsome), Lexi cried because her tights were itchy and Lilly kept running away from me and didn't want to get dressed. Thank heavens for Maddy who helped me and made Sunday morning easy. She however learned that "damn" is a swear word this weekend. She used it on more than one occasion and was so sad that she "swore" she felt terrible. Guilty parents! It was pretty funny hearing her say it. lol. So 3 of us are now working on not saying it!

We left church to head to Normandie's and enjoy Brunch with Grama Perri and cousins. We had a big group! Grammie insisted on paying the bill but it was delicious. Thanks Grams! We missed a picture of Chris's kids with Great Grammie and then 2 cousins that live in MD. Grammie has 12 great grand kids with 1 on the way (that I know of anyway).  Here are 7 rowdy cousins!

 After brunch we went to Grammies house and visited and then headed to the North Pole party at Leslie's. I didn't get a picture of the host. When we arrived she had constructed with hot glue our gingerbread houses, she couldn't get them to set with frosting! LOL.

The kids had so much candy to choose from to decorate the houses. Grandma told them to decorate not eat! Yeah right! I'm not sure the kids ate dinner that night, their bellies (and mine) were so full of treats.



 
The finished houses.  Thank you Leslie for a wonderful evening. It was so fun to be at your house, I'm sorry Lexi loved your dancer glass ornament and she is now missing a foot.
 


We enjoyed a yummy salad and soup for dinner. And chit chatted til late, we came home and crashed after a white and wonderful weekend!

And a couple random pictures from the week. Lilly helped me make the Christmas tree treats. Her poop was this color the next day, apparently I used WAY too MUCH green food coloring.

My striped stockings were made by my mom and then my Aunt Sue finished them many years ago. I love them and asked her yesterday to make me two more sp that I have one for me and Mike also. I've always wanted our names on our stockings but saw these cute signs and decided to do this!  I went to Hobby Lobby (in the snow storm) and got supplies to make my own. I LOVE IT! Next year, I hope to have 6 matching stockings.



I also made a gingerbread garland. I overcooked some cookies and then poked a straw hole in each cookie. I strung them up today, originally I had planed to hang the garland between the stockings but today decided to put the garland by my gingerbread tree. I also have my Santa decorations, my mom painted Mr & Mrs Claus along with the boots. And then the kids gingerbread houses (Lexi keeps eating hers). This hutch was my Grama's when she was first married, my parents used it when they were first married and then Mike and I used it when we were first married. I originally painted it blue and now it is black. I love this hutch!
And I  am so excited about my new nativity set. Last year I saw the whole set at my friend Emily's, isn't it gorgeous. It is a Willow Tree set. I wanted to get a piece last year but didn't so I ordered my first pieces as an early Christmas present. How sad that the only Nativity I have in the house is a Fisher Price set.  BUT not anymore!
I love the Christmas season. I love the twinkle of the lights, the traditions, the busy-ness of the season, the spirit of Christmas, I love Christmas cards, I love the snow, I love the delight in my children's eyes Christmas morning, I love the magic Christmas brings and I love my Savior. I am so thankful to remember him at this season. I pray we all take a minute to reflect on all that He does for us.

3 comments:

Julie L said...

You have had a very busy week! And I know it doesn't slow down. But that's part of what makes Christmas special. Love the photos! And your Christmas sweaters - what a hoot! Tree and a gift. Perfect.

That nativity set is one of my favorites, too! So glad you got to start it. The nice thing is that it, also, is fairly kid friendly.

I'm so glad you got to join us for the North Pole party. I know it made for a very busy, long day for your family but it wouldn't have been the same without you.

Seth and Julie said...

Now, that's how you do an ugly sweater contest! I am always shopping around trying to find the bottom of the barrel ugliest sweater ever manufactured, but making your own is even better. It ups the tacky factor and ensures that no one else has the same outfit. Too funny!

Cam said...

When is Ann going to share ugly sweater pics? I almost forgot! You looked great. Love the pics of the kids in the show- it makes for such great lighting!