Madison & Jack wanted to participate in the Elk Meadows School choir--catch was it was before school started at 7:45 and two days a week and for about 3 months time. I tried to discourage them from joining, doesn't that sound terrible. Only because I was responsible for getting them to school early! BUT they insisted, they promised they'd wake up and not complain when it was time to get ready for choir and they said they wanted to do it. So we signed them up!
Luckily a neighbor also signed up and we were able to car pool so I really only had to drive once a week (until the end when choir was every morning and earlier).
Jack did sleep through my alarm wake up one morning but Madison never missed a practice. She even volunteered to be in the talent show. Anyone could participate, some sang, some danced and Maddy played Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious on the piano! Her friends also participated. Alli played the piano and Emily the violin. Maddy didn't miss a beat! Mike made it right on time, he was walking down the hall and heard the song and snapped 2 pics!
Before the talent show started at 5, I went into the Gym and put my coats on the front row. Sure enough, no one moved them and we had front row seats for the finest rock concert in town! Maddy was to the left of us although she was blocked almost the entire performance by the girl in front of her. So we had a hard time taking pictures of only her!
Jack loved singing Rock n Roll.
Maddy was wearing a black dress and long black gloves to dance in "Set me free" really known as "You keep me hanging on"This girl is front and center in every picture! Too bad I didn't want her to be. Oh well.
Here's Kaden, he's also in 3rd grade and we carpooled with him. Made life so much easier at 7:40 two days a week!
Jack's buddy Mason danced in ABC, 123. They were one of the hits of the show!
The choir did hand actions, swayed, sang, danced and did it all. They shared what each grade level did to participate for the "rock" night and also had a slide show. The grandparents commented to the kids that the music was music that they grew up singing so it was fun for everyone! Not positive of the number of kids that were in the choir but the program has 140 kids names listed on it.
The last song was Living in America and We built this city. The kids waved the American Flag.
After the kids sat down and we could see Madison without being blocked!
Maddy also danced with 2 girls from the ward and Emily a friend from her class.
Maddy also did a dance but the video is too long and I can't upload it. Here's a little video of one song they sang. She's in the back by the flag.
We missed a softball game and Tumbling for the performance although the game should have been rained out but they played on a wet field. Oh well. Mike said to let her continue doing choir (when we got the softball schedule-that showed an overlapping day of events) even though she had a game because she had been working towards it. I probably would have made her miss the choir concert but am very glad I didn't. It was amazing to see the enthusiasm and hard work pay off for the teachers and the kids. Great job Madison and Jack. This was the 2nd annual evening of the arts. I hope they both want to continue with it next year!
School update:
We are staying at Elk Meadows on a permit. Elk Meadows is going year round. We turned in our track requests and did not receive the track we wanted, however, my kids all got excellent teachers and the track is growing on me and there best buddies are in their classes with them. When I think back before I turned in the application, I know I would have chosen a teacher over the time of track breaks so although we weren't at first excited about the track we received, I feel like it is an answer to prayer. Back in December when we were told we would be moved to a different school, I prayed my kids would have friends in their class and great teachers. And that is just what we have!! Lexi will have Jack's current teacher, Mrs. Wilson, she is moving from 2nd grade to kindergarten. She is amazing and will make learning even more fun. While I would have chosen afternoon kinder, we will both adjust!! Jack has the 3rd grade teacher that everyone wants, Mr. Lovell. I believe he will help Jack be more confident, help him to learn new things (cursive, multiplication and division) and help him to love to read and learn. Madison also got the teacher she wanted Mrs Grey although I've heard she might not stay next year. BUT she has several friends in her class including Alli whom they've never been in the same class yet live 2 houses away from each other. So while I would like a longer summer (D track starts in mid August) I'll take starting July 28 for wonderful teachers and friends to go to school with. 14 days left of school! I think I'm more excited then they are!
3 comments:
That was a great concert. I do have a couple of videos, too. If I get them dumbed down (ie. made lower resolution so they can be posted) I'll try to get them posted. I also got a few shots of Maddy from where I was sitting - not terrific but better than nothing. They both did terrific! and it really was fun to hear them sing all our 'oldies.'
That's great that your kids want to be in the choir, I tried to talk my girls into it and they were not interested.
Sounds like it was a fun program.
I'm glad you got good teachers next year, they have got to throw you some kind of bone for taking the undesired track!
At least you will get more of a summer ending on a traditional schedule, and you'll be able to fit lots of playing into 6 weeks.
Looking forward to having some fun with ya'll. Signed up for swimming lessons today. Yay!
14 more days, we can do it- only 26 homemade lunches to go....I think I can, I think I can. :)
Don't feel bad, I have tried to talk my kids out of things too. There is only so much we can fit on our plates, but good for them for getting up and getting there early.
With the new year round schedule, when will you be off? How does it work? My step dad has taught year round and sometimes on a 4 months on 2 off schedule and other times way shorter breaks, like 6 weeks on and a couple off. Our schools are packed so they have discussed this idea, but I would probably cry. It is only warm here for 3 months a year and I feel like we NEED those months off so we can enjoy it while it lasts. You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes. I think you are right that good teachers and good friends will make the off track worth it.
Post a Comment